Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Non-Immigrant Visa Section

Welcome to the Non-Immigrant Visa Section of the U.S. Consulate General in Osaka! We are committed to helping business and leisure travelers obtain visas for travel to the United States. Our website is always the most current, comprehensive, and official source of information about obtaining a visa through our consulate. We are guided by our customer service statement to make this process as efficient and pleasant as possible.

The Consular Section in Osaka processes only non-immigrant visas for temporary travel to the United States. All immigrant visas for the Osaka-Kobe Consular district are processed at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo.

For information about the full range visa services available in Japan, please refer to the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo’s website.

In-depth information about the following topics can be found on the U.S. Department of State’s website:

  • Explanations of U.S. immigration law and visa policy;
  • Descriptions of each category of visa and guides for choosing the visa that best suits your purpose of travel;
  • Current wait times for appointments at U.S. embassies and consulates;
  • Visa fees and visa validity periods;
  • Explanations of why a visa application might be denied, which might require additional administrative processing, and which applicants may be legally barred from entering the United States.


Contact Us

  • Link to Visa Twitter site

    U.S. Consulate Visa - Tweet us your Non-immigrant visa questions.

  • Link to Web Chat site.

    Ask the Consular Officer - Chat with Consular officers online  See Web Chat page for next schedule.

  • English- and Japanese-speaking customer service agents are ready to assist you 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Japan Time (JST) Monday through Friday. The call center is closed for U.S. and Japanese holidays.

    By telephone:

      From Japan, please call 050-5533-2737.

  •   In the United States, please call  1-703-520-2233. 

    By e-mail:

    • For Legal Permanent Residents who wish to know the arrival of their Re-entry Permits to pick up at the Consulate General, or information regarding how they can return to the U.S. when Legal Permenent Cards or Re-entry Permits were lost/stolen/expired. For more information and our contact information, please see Embassy's website.
  • Consular Electronic Applications Center - Applicants can check the status of their visa application.

  • Kids Hear All about U.S.-Japan Friendship

    Kids Hear All about U.S.-Japan Friendship

    February 27, 2014 – Amy Nicodemus, Chief of the Non Immigrant Visa Unit, visited Kaihei Elementary School and talked to first and fourth graders about the friendship between the United States and Japan.

  • A Picture of visit to the Nara Institute of Science and technology

    Visit to Nara Inst. of Science & Tech

    Jan. 16- Consulate staff visited the Nara Institute of Science and Technology and discussed the visa process. Staff focused on student and exchange visitor visas, which are of particular concern to the institute.

  • Picture of visit to Nagayoshi Minami Elementary school

    Visit to Nagayoshi Minami Shogakko

    Jan. 12 – Consulate staff visited Nagayoshi Minami Elementary School and discussed life in the Foreign Service and the importance of studying abroad, while students performed plays in English and asked questions about American culture.

  • Picture for visit to Kansai University Study Abroad Fair

    At Kansai University Study Abroad Fair

    April 19, 2013 - Visa section staff joined Kansai University's Study Abroad Fair, and discussed study in the U.S. with local students.

  • A photo at Shimane University

    Visit to Shimane University

    June 7, 2013- Consular officer Nicholas Fietzer discusses the benefits of studying in the United States with students from Shimane University.

  • 2014年1月31日-株式会社クボタ訪問


    領事と日本人職員は株式会社クボタを訪問し新入社員としてアメリカに1ヶ月の語学留学を終了した社員の方と グローバル社会においての英語力の必要性について語りあいました。

Travel & Tourism in the U.S.

  • Tourism Badge