Non-Immigrant Visa Section
The vast majority of Japanese traveling for business or tourism for less than 90 days do not require a visa and may use the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). If you do not qualify for the VWP or are traveling to study, work, or participate in an exchange program, you need to apply for a visa. To begin the process of applying for a non-immigrant visa, please visit U.S. Travel Docs - Japan.
If you have question about a visa application you already have in progress, our contact information is here.
For information about the full range visa services available in Japan, please refer to the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo's visa pages.
In-depth information about the following topics can be found on the U.S. Department of State’s travel.state.gov website:
- Explanations of U.S. immigration law and visa policy.
- Descriptions of each category of visa and guides for choosing the visa that best suits your purpose of travel.
- Current wait times for appointments at U.S. embassies and consulates.
- Visa fees and visa validity periods.
- Explanations of why a visa application might be denied, which might require additional administrative processing, and which applicants may be legally barred from entering the United States.
U.S. Consulate Visa - Tweet us your Non-immigrant visa questions.
English- and Japanese-speaking customer service agents are ready to assist you 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Japan Time (JST) Monday through Friday. The call center is closed for U.S. and Japanese holidays.
From Japan, please call 050-5533-2737.
- For Legal Permanent Residents who wish to know the arrival of their Re-entry Permits to pick up at the Consulate General, or information regarding how they can return to the U.S. when Legal Permenent Cards or Re-entry Permits were lost/stolen/expired. For more information and our contact information, please see Embassy's website.
Consular Electronic Applications Center - Applicants can check the status of their visa application.
In the United States, please call 1-703-520-2233.
By e-mail: email@example.com